I love sauces.
I could literally LIVE off of sauces, dips, and veggies.
The problem is, when you buy them in the store, you have no control of what goes into the recipe. And if you are like me, you WANT to know what’s in your food!
I have accumulated tons of recipes just for that reason, but I have also discovered that I am pretty picky when it comes to making my own food. I usually start with a recipe and then tweak it this way and that, until it suits my mood of the day.
Hummus happens to be one of my (and my kids’) favorite foods. I make the traditional version, with garbanzo beans, at least once a week. Hummus is my trademark food that I bring to parties. IT ROCKS! In fact, I have my oldest son so hooked on it, that he refuses to eat any other kind of hummus. It’s kind of a bummer when we are out and about…or visiting friends. He just looks at the hummus put in front of him and asks, “Did you make it, mommy?” *sigh* I can hardly get that kid to eat anything as it is….
When I chose to try the Paleo diet, it required me to give up legumes.
GASP! No beans! How ever will I survive. I LOVE HUMMUS!!!!
I whined and complained.
Then I pulled up my big-girl panties and found myself a new way to make hummus. And folks, it’s DIVINE!
Because I love you all so much, I will share the recipe:
PS – Have I told how much I LOVE my Blendtec Blender?
PPS – Is that an affiliate link? You betcha!
- 2 cups raw walnuts (soaked in hot water for a minimum of ten minutes, then drain)
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 12 oz jar roasted red peppers (drained)
- 2 garlic cloves – chopped
- 4 TB EVOO
- 2 TB fresh parsley
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- In a food processor (or high powered blender), place walnuts, cumin, and salt. Pulse until walnuts are finely ground.
- Add peppers, garlic, olive oil, parsley, and lemon juice.
- Process until smooth, like the consistency of hummus.
- Serve with raw veggies…or eat with a spoon!
Give it a try and let me know what you think!
I’m going to go make some sauces and dips right now….
Until next time…